Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sights, Sounds and Smells of Thanksgiving



















Last week, a beautiful November Fall day, trees bathed in sunlight, their leaves shimmering.  Such beauty.  Fall always is my most favorite time of the year.

 As I am doing most days ... cleaning ... I opened a window to clean the window sill and a blast of air burst forth into the room.  The clean, fresh smell of autumn swirled about and jogged the memory and hugged the heart.  I had to pause.

The scent of the air was that of a crisp Thanksgiving Day.   I could smell the turkey cooking, I could hear the theme song of The March of the Wooden Soliders playing on the TV, I could see the family arriving through the front door, into the hall and onto the kitchen carrying pies and goodies for the Thanksgiving table and unknowingly bringing with them that fresh scent of air of the season.

It was the briefest of moments; it was for always.   The times have changed, people have passed but memories live on.

2 comments:

  1. That thought was sent to you from your guardian Angel....it was a "picture for the heart". I washed a few windows today, and the air was fresh and cool...this is the bestest
    time of the year...and oh how I love the smell of the turkey and fixins cooking..is there a better smell in the whole world...pure comfort
    and love......:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Faith, these things happen to lighten the heart and help us heal from the things that wear us down. And it's always good to spend time with family, especially over a great meal... :))

    ReplyDelete